Hover over and then click on the course title
Hover over to see areas
"When leaders stop developing so also do their staff and when staff stop learning so also do their pupils"
These are the sentiments which motivate the work of the Regional Training Unit, the education service's Leadership and Staff College, in Northern Ireland. In recent times RTU has been the focus of scrutiny from visiting teacher educators and policy makers from as far away as Sri Lanka and as close to home as the Republic of Ireland and England and other European Union countries each interested in RTU's unique role (in European terms) as a developer of current and future education sector leaders.
NEW Conference Materials 2013
Glenavon House Hotel
Thu 09 May, 2013
20 May 2013
28 May 2013
30 May 2013
04 Jun 2013
05 Jun 2013
10 Jun 2013
11 Jun 2013
19 Jun 2013
Event Key: Scheduled Cancelled Postponed
On June 6th, Microsoft in partnership with the Regional Training Unit (RTU) of NI launched the Partners in Learning School Research (PILSR).
This is currently under review.
RTU is presently reviewing the Leadership Development Partner Scheme previously established to involve outstanding / very good school and educational leaders in the design, development and delivery of schools leadership development programmes.
Any Course/Conference postponements or closure to the Regional Training Unit Building will be posted here.
Tue 22 Jan 2013, 11:56
Why not contact a member of staff, start by searching for the person by first name, surname, job etc.
Search for Contact:
The RTU library service has been discontinued until further notice. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience.
Summer School 2013 Courses
- All Courses
- My Courses (0)
- CN15 Introduction to Brain Gym in the Classroom (90%)
- CN68A PQH (NI) Information Sessions (AM) (95%)
- CN36 Understanding How the Brain Learns and Application to Teaching and Learning (Learning Styles) (62%)
- CN44 Making Data Work (93%)
- CN18 Sensory Processing and Motor Skills for Pupils with Autism (87%)
- CN04 Wholeschool Software - Including SDP and Curriculum Mapping (63%)
- CN57 Being an Effective Pastoral Leader (83%)
- CN16 Using Brain Gym with Pupils with Special Needs (69%)
- CN40 Rocks and Rollers - A printmaking course inspired by the Ulster Museum Mineral and Fossils Collection (63%)
- CN59 Relationship and Counselling Skills for the Classroom (70%)
- CN54 Giving Great Presentations: Skill and Confidence Development (63%)
- CN46 PRSD Training for School Reviewers Using the Medium of Positive Coaching (72%)
- CN43 Improving Classroom Practice in Mathematics (68%)
- CN09 Engaging With Adolescents Towards Positive Mental Health (53%)
- CN14 Inclusive PE Training Course (Sainsbury’s Active Kids For All) (63%)
- CN45 Imex Interactive Whiteboard Training (50%)
- CN41 Pupil Voice - Beyond School Councils; engaging the voice and influence of children and young people in their own and others’ learning. (52%)
- Developing Social Guardians in Understanding the Impact of Domestic Violence on Children & Young People
- Accelerated Learning - Master your Memory Foundation Level
- Voice Care for Teachers
- Wholeschool Software - Including SDP and Curriculum Mapping
- The Harberton Reading Programme
- Teaching Pupils with Dyslexia
- Assertiveness and Self Confidence
- Healthy Workforce, Healthy School
- Engaging With Adolescents Towards Positive Mental Health
- Starting Rights Respecting School Award (RRSA)
- A Pro-active, Creative and Practical Approach to Challenging Behaviours
- A Busy Day/A Busy Year - A Successful Approach to Early Reading and Numeracy
- Supporting Students with Autism in Post-14 Education
- Inclusive PE Training Course (Sainsbury’s Active Kids For All)
- Introduction to Brain Gym in the Classroom
- Using Brain Gym with Pupils with Special Needs
- Preparing to Get that Job!
- Sensory Processing and Motor Skills for Pupils with Autism
- “Healthy Food for Healthy Outcomes” Setting up a Food in Schools Policy to shape the health of our young people in the future
- Well-being at Work
- Language, Communication and Sensory Modulation - An Early Years Focus.
- Practical Science in The World Around Us
- Leadership Skills Programme
- Welcoming Schools
- Self-Advocacy through Assertiveness
- Emergency First Aid at Work
- Managing Your Stress
- Practical Creative Learning and Teaching in a Global Context
- GymFUN - Teacher Training Course (Gymnastics)
- Bag of Tricks
- Change the Lens: A fresh view of school leadership
- Effective Use of Data
- Paediatric First Aid
- Teaching Constructive Thinking
- Using the Curriculum to Create an Autism Friendly Classroom in Primary Schools
- Understanding How the Brain Learns and Application to Teaching and Learning (Learning Styles)
- Democracy Alive - NI Assembly Education Service
- Supporting the Education of Looked After Children
- Autism, Mental Health and Managing Anxiety
- Rocks and Rollers - A printmaking course inspired by the Ulster Museum Mineral and Fossils Collection
- Pupil Voice - Beyond School Councils; engaging the voice and influence of children and young people in their own and others’ learning.
- A Mindset for Learning - How to help nurture successful 21st Century learners
- Improving Classroom Practice in Mathematics
- Making Data Work
- Imex Interactive Whiteboard Training
- PRSD Training for School Reviewers Using the Medium of Positive Coaching
- Working with School and Home to Improve Outcomes in Learning and Behaviour for Pupils with Co-occurring Conditions
- Supporting Children in the Irish Medium Early Years Settings with SEN
- Story Wise
- Creative Paths to Thinking and Writing
- ALTA Maths - Improve teaching, learning and achievement
- Hidden Harm - Awareness and Responses
- Attachment in the Classroom
- Giving Great Presentations: Skill and Confidence Development
- Assert Yourself: Confidence and Skills Development
- Dealing with Adversity: Effectively Managing Stress
- Being an Effective Pastoral Leader
- Raising Self Esteem to achieve Academic Success
- Relationship and Counselling Skills for the Classroom
- Motivational Mentoring – Overcoming Barriers to Learning
- Academic Success – Identifying Barriers to Learning
- Sharing Classrooms Deepening Learning
- Sounds-Write: A linguistic phonic approach to teaching, reading and spelling
- Meditation for Everyone
- Bringing Mindfulness into the Classroom
- Yoga Games in the Classroom
- PQH (NI) Information Sessions (AM)
- PQH (NI) Information Sessions PM
- Understanding Self and Others through the Enneagram
- Moving Ahead with CRED
- Implementing the CRED Policy: Tackling Controversial Issues in the Classroom
Search for Course:
Deepening School Leadership is designed as part of the Regional Training Unit's provision for Emergent Leaders in the context of schools in Northern Ireland. It is mainly focused on the continuing professional development of those teachers who have leadership responsibilities in a group or groups of other staff but are not yet at the level of Senior Leaders in the school. The materials may also be navigated in ways that would support school leaders with a variety of roles and levels of experience.
It complements the support given through the Steps into Leadership programme and assist those who will in the near future enter the Senior Leadership Pathways programme.
Graduation Ceremony 2012, held in Belfast Girls Model.
Resources, Videos and Documents for Leadership Teams.
A RTU/LDS commissioned report from PWC on 'The attractiveness of headship' in Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. The report provides an in depth analysis of the issues surrounding recruitment to headship across both jurisdictions.